Tuesday 8 March 2016

Mathematics: Place Value

Today I sat down with some friends with our place value cards and number racks! I was determined to help them learn that 1 in any of the teens actually represents 10. We started off by making numbers on our number rack, and then I introduced the place value cards to them. It really helped that they had the quantity on the back! If you're not entirely sure what I'm talking about, you can watch the video I made about place value here!






They were quickly starting to pick up on the idea that the 1 in 14 (for example) was actually 10! When Lily was making 14, she asked "So all numbers higher than 10 have 10 in them?" Woohoo!!! I was SO excited that they were understanding it. We will continue to understand that even 20 has 10 in it, but 2 groups of 10 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment