Friday 9 January 2015

Friday Update - January 9th, 2015

Hello everyone,

I won't have too much to update you with, since I posted on Wednesday and I wasn't at school on Thursday. I do, however, want to talk about an ongoing issue we've been having in our class.

Since the beginning of the year, we've taught students how to tidy up after themselves. It's one of our 5 classroom rules. We dedicated a lot of time showing students how to tidy up, and have made it very easy to do so by ensuring everything has a label (words and pictures), and have even included pictures of each learning centre when they're tidy saying "This is what I should look like when I'm clean". Therefore, I know it's not an issue of not knowing how. It's come down to students choosing not to tidy up.

I don't mind picking up the odd toy, but I will certainly not tidy up for 30 children. It makes me very sad to see this happening and I'm not sure why it is. At the beginning of the year, most students were tidying up, and now it seems only a handful are. I'm not entirely sure what to do about it. I may have to take certain students away from their favourite learning centre until they are willing to help clean up.

Here is a video I took today which shows a bit more of what I mean. I certainly don't mean to centre anyone out, that's never my intention. We showed students the video at the end of the day and talked about it. Perhaps this can be used as a learning tool/discussion starter on what's causing this. Thank you for your support.


Guest Speaker: Personal Trainer!

I'm sad that I missed Lily's mom speak to our class about being a personal trainer .(I had dance-related things to attend!). However, I did hear that students got the chance to be quite the athletes! She brought in a lot of cool tools like weights, kettle bells, and boxing gloves! We learned that she helps people achieve their fitness and health goals. Check out the fun picture below :)


Fun Photos

Here are some fun photos we captured this week :)












Additional Updates

  • When it's -20 degrees Celsius outside with the windchill, students need to wear snow pants and be properly dressed in general. Even if we don't go outside, the thought of sending off a child who is walking home without being properly dressed does not sit well with me. Please dress your child accordingly.
  • Scholastic orders are due on Monday. All orders submitted will be processed then :)
  • By now, most JKs have received a reading/writing update. Please let me know if you have any concerns. We can work together to help your child out as much as possible.
Thank you for your continued support. It's wonderful having parents so willing to support you and work with you. Have an awesome weekend and I will see you on Monday! :)

~ Miss Pliura

No comments:

Post a Comment