Tuesday 4 November 2014

Tuesday Update - November 4th, 2014

Good evening everyone!

I hope everyone is doing well and having some nice dinner conversations about school today :) I have a couple of things I wanted to share with you!
  • Please make sure you read through the "Parent Observation" package (in one of the previous posts) to prepare for next week. It's such a busy day that I probably won't be able to explain the forms to you beforehand. Please let me know when you've read it. 4 parents have let me know so far!
  • Scholastic orders for November are due on the 14th. I will submit them on that date and you should receive them a week or so after that.
  • Orders for photos are past-due. If you would like to order them, you must speak to the office to see if they can do a late order. If not, you will have to reorder them with retakes. Picture retake day is on November 18th. 
  • Gym clothing orders have been delivered. If you have not received yours yet, please let me know and I will pass that message on to Mr. Lane.
I thank those parents who are reading the blog and staying up to date. I know how busy you all are and I'm appreciative that you're so focused on your child and their Kindergarten adventures :)

Here's a brief Literacy update :)

Vowel Sounds vs. Vowel Names

This week is an important week during our Literacy time, because we are learning more about the vowels/"sticky letters". Vowels are important letters! They stick words together... every word and syllable needs one... and they make more than one sound! This week we are learning the two sounds that each vowel makes. We've done A and E so far :) These are called short and long vowel sounds. However, we will refer to them as vowel name and vowel sound. Although they are technically both sounds, vowel name refers to the name of the letter /a/ and vowel sounds refers to the sound that that letter names /ah/. 

We learned that "A can say /ah/ and A can say /a/". 



We learned that "E can say /eh/ and E can say /e/".




This is more directed toward SKs, but so many of our JKs know their letters and sounds that this would be a great next step :)

Accountability during Learning Centres - Moving Forward

We've been having many issues in the classroom with tidying up after ourselves. This is a bit surprising since they blew me away at the beginning of the year with their tidy up skills. During learning centres, students know that they need to clean up certain things before moving to a new learning centre (ex: putting the lids back on Playdoh, cleaning up the sand toys, putting lids on markers, etc.). Lately when I notice centres are messy and no one is there, some students don't take accountability for their mess. In order to not center them out, I let students know that they can tidy it up after I'm done talking, but it's still not happening. Of course by then, plenty of students go clean up the mess even if they didn't make it because they are great helpers :) We wanted to share this with you and let you know that we will be teaching them more about responsibility during our Character Education lessons and will be keeping a close eye on who's following the rules :)

I believe that's all I have to say for now!

Adios :)

~ Miss Pliura

No comments:

Post a Comment