Saturday 15 October 2016

Announcements: Updates

Hi everyone!

I hope you all have a great weekend :) I just wanted to update you on a couple of things:

  • I've informed you about School Cash Online, milk, and pizza. I am still waiting on clarification for Tribes. Once I find out what's going on, I will let you know.
  • Money for our trip to Fortino's is due next Friday, October 21st. Please send in your money ASAP. Until we know how many people are coming on the trip, we can't determine how many volunteers we need. Unfortunately, without volunteers, we can't go on the trip. This is out of my hands, as the Board's policy for JK/SK is 1 adult to every 5 children. Apparently at the School Council meeting it was stated that parents should not offer to volunteer since we apparently have an overwhelming amount of volunteers in the school, and that often names have to be drawn. This is upsetting to hear. The only time I've drawn names is for our year end trip, which happens to be the most popular, and we couldn't take all parents due to fire code regulations. I'm aware getting a police check is a pain, but if you're able to volunteer, please do. We have 3 adults right now: myself, Mrs. Tortola, and our ECE student Miss Herod, with hopefully all students coming (26), which means we need 3 more.
  • Home reading will start next week. As mentioned at our parent night, books will go home weekly this year instead of daily, with students choosing their own books based on interest instead of levels. We are teaching them to choose "just right books", meaning books that aren't too easy or to hard for them. My goal next year is to phase out levels completely, as this isn't something students should be aware of, and the focus for children should be developing a love for reading.
I'll keep you posted on anything else I can think of- thanks for reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment